I drove through Portola, headed for theWestern Pacific railroad museum. Fortunately the light was green so I didn't have to stop.
Hey I just realized you can see the rental car in the reflection. I actually really like this car, a Chevy Cruze. But I digress...
The railroad museum was a real railroader's delight. In other words, it was the kind of place most normal people would find very boring. It was fun climbing around on the giant locomotives, but that was about it.
One cool thing was the old rolling stock and locomotive from the California Zephyr. Those were the days, and the rail line up the Feather River valley still carries lots of freight, but the passenger service now runs through Donner Pass.
There were also some cool accessories and photos. The route through the mountains meant dealing with a lot of snow.
How about a railroad car? That would be fun!
After all that excitement I needed to relax, so I hit the road for Sierra Hot Springs. I think the funniest part about Sierra Hot Springs was that I heard about it from our Catholic neighbor at our last campsite.
Anyway the drive was really interesting as it took me across the Sierra Valley, a huge flat plateau that is more reminiscent of Nebraska or Kansas than California. I drove through some really small towns and past some big cattle ranches with old wagons parked out front. Actually this picture reminds me of some roads I have been on in New Mexico and Texas.
I found the place without much trouble and felt at home right away. The main lodge reminded me of the farmhouse at Rowe.
The view from the parking lot was not at all like Western Mass!
I paid my fee and headed toward the hot baths. The place was super groovy.
The path led up a small hill.
After a short walk, I saw the "old school" hot tubs. Spring water came through pipes, the water was smelly and warm.
Just a few more steps led to the main baths. Obviously I did not take pictures inside, because, oh did I forget to mention that this is a nude hot spring? Technically it is "clothing optional" but nobody was taking the option. Here is a picture of the outside.
The dome surrounds the hottest pool and two cold plunges. Unlike any other place I have been, the sulphur laden water bubbles right up from the bottom of the tub. The floor was sand, and there were bubbles and hot streams perking through the sand, you could stick your toes in and feel the warm currents. There was also a "warm pool" and a dry sauna, a warm sulphur shower, and a large deck with chairs and shad tents. The sun was shining and the air was bone dry so sitting out was very pleasant. I eventually worked up my nerve to strike up a conversation with some other naked people, and it turned out that the guy with the long grey ponytail was a former "rebel cartoonist" from the sixties and seventies. Once he got started he had a lot to say, most of it humorous and cynical. It was really a fun experience. Here is a picture of the view.
Eventually I had soaked and sweat and chatted as much as I could stand so I drove back to Portola. At this point the smoke from the "American Fire" was making the sky very hazy. As the sun set it made an ominous orange sky.
That last picture was taken from behind the house. I am so fortunate to have wonderful relatives! Thank you Laura and Chris and Clare!






















No comments:
Post a Comment